We are now taking bookings – Please pre-book by calling 01366 382162
Join our Nigel our Gamekeeper on a fascinating guided nature walk around Church Farm and Stow Estate. The walks will be once a month on a Sunday from 4.30 – 7.00pm.
Meet Nigel in the Church Farm Tea Room at 4.30pm on the day of the walk for coffee / tea / squash & cake and to talk about the walk and what to look out for.
All Walks are £5.00 per person to include tea & cake and are from 4.30pm until 7pm unless stated otherwise and must be pre-booked by ringing 01366 382162 or booking in at the Farm.
Sunday 15th May SPRINGWATCH AT STOW
What’s that bird, techniques to help you identify different birds from their calls or plumage. Know your sparrow from your chaffinch and your rook from your crow. It’s also a good time to see some of the other wonderful animals that inhabit Stow Estate.
Sunday 19th June – SUMMER MEADOW MEANDER
A walk on Grupp meadow; with its own unique ecosystem, to look at the wonderful plants and insects that are found there. This walk will give us the chance to feel nature as well as see nature. If we are lucky we might see Barn owls hunting.
EXTRA SPECIAL Sunday 17th July – BUTTERFLY PICNIC IN THE LAVENDER
Enjoy a picnic with us in the lavender fields at Stow, the best place to see butterflies and moths. We will try to identify all we find and also look out for birds and other mammals that might be passing. Bring your own picnic or order a child or adult picnic box for an extra £5.00
Sunday 7th August – TAKE A WALK ON THE WILD (DEER) SIDE
Shhhhhh! We are looking for all kinds of deer; Red, Roe and Muntjac which all live on the Estate. Dress to camouflage, no strong scents and keep quiet, hopefully we will see these elusive animals in their natural habitat.
Sunday 28th August – HARVEST FIELDS, A SHARED BOUNTY
As the combine harvester leaves the fields, a lot of wildlife moves in to enjoy the bounty left behind, we will be looking for birds, small animals, and deer. This is the easiest time to spot unusual wildlife.
Sunday 18th September – FORAGING, FRUITS AND PHOTOS
A walk along some of our lovely hedgerows with a basket for fruits & foraging and a camera for photos.
Sunday 16th October – FUNNY FUNGI AND THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT!- (3.30pm start) Join us for a stroll through the woods to look at the wonderful autumn trees and to find some fiendish fungi. Once dusk arrives we will try and find bats and barn owls.
All walks must be pre-booked – Please ring the office on 01366 382162 to book (Monday – Friday, 9-5pm) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place.
Points to note
- Numbers are limited to 15 people per walk.
- Please bring binoculars with you if you have them, if not there may be some you can borrow.
- Please be aware that it may be cold or wet during the nature walk so please dress in appropriate clothing & boots. We may be walking through grass, mud and uneven ground.
- The walks are suitable for all ages but we would prefer children to be 8 or over. The Estate stretches over a few miles and we might be some distance from Church Farm, so it may not always be possible to take a child back to the car if they are not enjoying the walk.
- There is no access allowed to Church Farm itself or to the indoor treehouse prior to the walk, unless the normal admission charge is paid. Please note that Church Farm closes at 5pm.